BOQ is one of Australia’s leading regional banks, with over 180 branches across the country. Established in 1874, they have always held customer service as their primary focus. Most of their branches are run by Owner Managers, which means they are run like a small business and routinely deliver on their promise of exceptional personal service.
BOQ’s travel needs span all aspects of a full travel program, including air, hotel, ground, supplier contracts, program strategy and more. Their primary travel destinations are on the Australian Eastern Seaboard, plus international travel.
The BOQ travel team work to the internal values of passion, integrity, impact and collaboration, and they expect their partners to uphold and demonstrate these values too.
Operating in a competitive, complex and rapidly evolving market, BOQ is committed to delivering best in class products and processes throughout its operations. When it came time to review their travel program, FCM worked with the BOQ team and identified several key goals that BOQ wanted to achieve:
- Modernise and rationalise the program
- Move to online booking
- Improved compliance to policy
- Cut costs
- Engage productivity boosting technology
In short, the FCM / BOQ team wanted to create a program that was built on strategy and went beyond the status quo.
- Booking behaviour was a key challenge that was identified. A number of booking practices were in place prior to the review and ad-hoc bookings by users were the norm, rather than the exception.
- Existing technology solutions were also identified as being in need of improvement and updating. For a business built on face to face relationships, moving users to an online booking program presented a challenge for some.
- In modernising a program, gaining organisational buy in was integral to the success of this project.
Strategies to overcome challenges
FCM began the process by applying our Magnify program methodology. Through Magnify, we were able to take a granular look at the entire travel program and business and identify areas of potential improvement.
Actions put in place as a result of this review included:
- Implementation of a full technology stack including Online Booking Tool, Reporting tool, HR feeds, enhanced reporting and expense functionality and cost centre automation.
- Improved visibility with enhanced technology such as dashboards and stronger strategy and policy frameworks.
- Maximise BOQs spend and contract conditions with a selection of suppliers to deliver a cost neutral hotel program that reduced room night spend and booking fees.
Industry leading, streamlined program
Online booking implemented and established as default booking method
90% user compliance
1% increase in year on year travel, with 3% decrease in booking cost
Over $300,000 saved in past 12 months
Improved user experience driven by advanced technology