We offer up eight cyber security tips to keep corporate travellers safe in the age of technology.
Effective travel management lies in knowing when to use the various tools at your disposal – when to ‘do it yourself’, when to use an Online Booking Tool (OBT) and when to turn to your trusted Travel Management Company (TMC).
Although the primary function of a TMC is to arrange business travel, the value of working with a TMC goes far beyond the functional. A TMC can provide the same level of knowledge and expertise as a lawyer or accountant does in their professional field.
Intelligent technology is assisting cities to merge their digital and physical landscapes. But what does this brave new urban world mean for business travellers in Asia? Read on to find out more.
It’s over twenty years since Virgin Atlantic and Taiwan's EVA Air became the first international airlines to offer premium economy cabins. A step down in cost, but less so in terms of experience, premium economy provides great value, makes travellers relaxed and productive travellers...
It is estimated that, in many corporations, just 60% of all travel costs are visible. The remaining 40% is invisible because those organisations track air, hotel and car rental bookings rather than what was actually spent – any why.
The sheer size of the region’s business travel spend – expected to reach $900 billion by 2025 – means that the benefits of cashless payments could be significant for the sector. So what does cashless business travel mean for travel managers? Read on to find out more...
A travel programme that incorporates an effective workplace health programme will not only produce savings but also reduce absenteeism and health care costs. So, what simple steps can a travel manager take to improve the physical and mental wellbeing of the organisation’s travelling workforce?
China is preparing to open the world’s largest airport terminal, Beijing Daxing International Airport. What can business travellers expect from this new gateway to the world’s second largest economy?
Travel managers needs the systems and analytics to mine the available data and translate those insights into actions that will drive savings. It’s the data that enables the travel manager to see the bigger picture. But how do you turn the insight the data can provide into actual savings? Read on for more...
The value of working with a TMC can be quantified in many ways, from cost savings, user satisfaction and traveller safety to time-saving processes, greater visibility of spend and even employee engagement. So where does the TMC fit in, and how can travel managers ensure they leverage maximum value from its TMC relationship? Read on for 5 tips to ensure those outcomes.
At this point in time all travellers and members of the FCM community have been marked safe; but we are continuing to monitor whereabouts and the safety of our travellers, our staff and our partners in the area.